Monday, January 23, 2012

Finding Time

Once you loose it, it is gone. There is no lost and found for time. I spent way too much time on the internet today, mostly because I had to be sitting in front of my computer to do the distasteful task of bookkeeping and needed some "eye-candy" to get me through. Periodically, I would wonder to a site to fulfill my curiosity about any number of things, whatever popped into my head.

Because Old Fool shared his picture of "Brussels sprouts" yesterday, (Old Fool and SWAMBO, I stole your picture but I'm giving you credit with this link, OK?) it has been on my mind to investigate just how they are grown. (I have grown them once, but the bugs got ahead of me and I know I need more instruction). I haven't investigated that yet, after this maybe okay, maybe a little now...

"Brussels sprouts, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane, a chemical believed to have potent anticancer properties. Although boiling reduces the level of the anticancer compounds, steaming, microwaving, and stir frying does not result in significant loss.[11]
Brussels sprouts and other brassicas are also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells."

I happen to love Brussels Sprouts. My mother used to cook them for herself and then call the girl (my age/friend) up the street to come eat them with her. She was the only one my mother knew that liked them and I guess she didn't want to eat alone. I don't know if that had any influence on me finding my way to them or not (jealousy); but I can now make a meal out of them just steaming and adding my favorite "food" mayonnaise on the side for a dip.

I wanted to know about aluminum cans as a roofing material because I saw them used on a "tiny house"  or shed somewhere along the way.

I couldn't find the article I had seen before but did find this by Architect Richard Van Os Keuls.

I guess I will stop yelling at the cars that go by and throw aluminum cans along the side of my street and into my yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment